On our way to Positano we stopped in Naples and wandered around for awhile, becoming increasingly grateful that we weren't actually going to be spending the night there. You guys, Naples is crazy. Especially the traffic. I have never seen a more chaotic intersection in my entire life as I saw in that city, and the only reason we didn't die trying to get across is because we shadowed a local. That is always the secret to survival.
We made sure to stop for some pizza at some famous pizza place, thus fulfilling #86 Have pizza in Naples.
You also probably figured out by now that I fulfilled #7 Travel to a foreign country.
The pizza was delicious, though strangely we had better at a Naples-style pizza place in Florence the next week. Also, please note that if you don't eat a lot in the U.S., you still will not eat a lot in Italy, despite everyone's insistence that the portion sizes are smaller. Everyone told us we should order an entire pizza each. Do you see that pizza? It's not that small. Luckily by this point we'd figured out that Chase and I are truly weak-sauce in terms of our ability to eat much, so we just ordered one to share. And it was perfect.
Later that evening we arrived at the oh-so-lovely town of Positano, along the Amalfi coast. It was breathtaking.
| Old watchtowers for the Turkish pirates |
Our first day in Positano was a dream. We slept in until nearly noon, then hung out at the beach for the afternoon, where I accomplished #30 Actually get in the water at the beach. We also had the best lunch ever at a little restaurant right there on the beach. All it was, was prosciutto and cantaloupe and a fresh lemon granita, but every element was perfect, and just what I wanted on a hot afternoon at the beach. It's funny because I'm actually not a huge beach person, but after walking all over Rome for the past several days, chilling in lounge chair by the water was precisely what I wanted to do.
That night we caught a bus to Ravello, a little town up in the mountains above Amalfi to see a performance from their annual summer concert series. Apparently Wagner was a huge fan of Ravello and had his inspiration for Parsifal there, so they have the music festival in his honor.
Ravello was gorgeous, and so peaceful.
And the venue for Beethoven's violin sonatas couldn't be beat.
(#35 Attend a classical music performance)
It was magical.
That was one amazing day. The one hiccup being we missed the last bus out of Ravello and had to take a cab instead. $100 later, we were back at our hotel--but at least it got us there in half the time?
The next day we went on a hike, called "The Path of the Gods," that started in the mountains above Praiano, and finished in Positano
#73 Go on a good hike (I was on a roll!)
Chase likes to freak me out--he really is standing on one foot at the edge of a sheer cliff.
Looking down at beautiful Positano
We stayed in the greatest little family owned hotel. I loved the view, especially at night, but unfortunately none of those pictures turned out well.
We bought a few prints from this artist, and he started chatting with us and talked for a good long while, and was so incredibly fun and friendly we had to get a picture with him.
| Pompeii |
It was fascinating. And hot. I was melting, but it was worth it.
There's good ol' Mt. Vesuvius (what's left of it anyway) in the background.
The Romans seemed to have thought of everything. They had "fast food" restaurants, fountains all over the city for drinking water, and these stepping stones at intersections for the people to walk across when they flooded the streets each day to clean up after the horses. All the chariots had standard sized wheel axles that fit over these stepping stones, too.
Other things of note: lemons as big as your head, lots of stair climbing, and a really expensive laundromat (we're talking $30 for two loads of laundry). I guess when you're the only laundromat in town, you can charge whatever the heck you want!
But we loved Positano, and I would so happily go back there again someday. In fact, I truly hope we do.
3 comments:
you guys look great, and the pics are amazing. Can't wait to get there myself someday!!!!
SO beautiful!
That looks like a marvelous vacation!
Post a Comment