Friday, January 8, 2010

Guatemala 4: missionaries

Having married Chase at age 20, I never had the opportunity to serve a mission. I was really excited to learn more about them, especially from the standpoint of a mission president.
(I think she makes a rather intimidating mission president, don't you?)

On Christmas Eve the office elders came over for dinner and sang us some Christmas carols



The following week were changes, which had everyone busy as could be. We were privileged enough to attend the change meeting, where everyone was assigned their new companions and areas. I was surprised to see an old mfhd classmate of mine serving there, and everyone seemed excited to meet us, and especially to meet Livia and Ella. They're pretty famous.
Livia made absolutely certain everyone not only noticed her, but would thereafter believe any wild story ever told about her. She started off the meeting by discovering the handicap ramp leading up to the pulpit. Oh my, was that fun! Then, she got really into the piano music playing in the background, and opening up a hymnal and standing directly in front of the pulpit, sang her little heart out! I wish everyone could have seen that, because there was so much laughter more than one person was reduced to tears, and it took me several minutes to compose myself enough to go retrieve her!
I really enjoyed the change meeting, and loved feeling the spirit of the elders, especially as they sang together.

After the change meeting, the elders going home came over to the mission home for interviews and dinner. One elder who had served in a mayan village brought a very special gift for Rich with him:
We were all pleasantly surprised that he actually put the traditional pants on! (Note: that is a real machete)


Here are Rich and Cheryl with all the elders and sisters going home. It was wonderful to see what Chase's parents are doing down in Guatemala. The positive influence they have, the respect and love all the missionaries have for them, and all the hard work it takes to keep a mission running smoothly and effectively. Thank you so much for your wonderful example and dedicated service!

No comments: