Here we are at the entrance to Tikal
After walking through my first rain forest ever, we ended up at these ruins!
Some of the ruins in Tikal are only partially uncovered, and others haven't been excavated at all. 
Here's a real human sacrifice altar. yikes!

We climbed to the top of one of the temples and were rewarded with this gorgeous view of the canopy.

Here's Chase and Tyler talking with our guide, Antonio.
If you look closely, you'll see that just next to my left knee is a skull.
They let you climb on the steps of some of the ruins, but others are too steep or dangerous, like this towering beauty

So they built a ladder to the top! I'm not terribly afraid of heights, but this ladder is really tall, so I was proud of myself for making it up and down without any serious freak out moments (if you look in the picture above, you can just see me and chase at the top. I'm the bright blue dot towards the left)

Tyler, me, and Chase

And then we got to the famous ruins. I think I had pictures just like this in my world history textbooks. Love it!

Me and Chase in front of the main temple area

One of the best parts was an ancient palace that you could actually explore! Most of the ruins are really well controlled, and you can only go in certain areas, but in the palace they just let you roam free, and it was beautiful and so amazing:


A shot of the burial tombs
Another shot of the palace. Check out that sky!

Ten huge bonus points if you can tell me what movie this picture reminds you of:

Our lives would not be complete without constant references to star wars. Thanks, Tyler, for pointing this one out to me! (I think it's weird that we look as super-imposed in the photo as the millenium falcon does)

We climbed to the top of one of the temples and were rewarded with this gorgeous view of the canopy.

Here's Chase and Tyler talking with our guide, Antonio.
If you look closely, you'll see that just next to my left knee is a skull.
They let you climb on the steps of some of the ruins, but others are too steep or dangerous, like this towering beauty
So they built a ladder to the top! I'm not terribly afraid of heights, but this ladder is really tall, so I was proud of myself for making it up and down without any serious freak out moments (if you look in the picture above, you can just see me and chase at the top. I'm the bright blue dot towards the left)

Tyler, me, and Chase

And then we got to the famous ruins. I think I had pictures just like this in my world history textbooks. Love it!

Me and Chase in front of the main temple area

One of the best parts was an ancient palace that you could actually explore! Most of the ruins are really well controlled, and you can only go in certain areas, but in the palace they just let you roam free, and it was beautiful and so amazing:


A shot of the burial tombs
Another shot of the palace. Check out that sky!
Ten huge bonus points if you can tell me what movie this picture reminds you of:
...
...
Anyone?

Our lives would not be complete without constant references to star wars. Thanks, Tyler, for pointing this one out to me! (I think it's weird that we look as super-imposed in the photo as the millenium falcon does)
I'm so glad we went to Tikal! It was incredible. I loved the history of it, I enjoyed learning about the rainforest and the people who had lived there, and we even got to see all sorts of animal life, including howler monkeys that sounded eerily similar to a jaguar's growl.

2 comments:
Beautiful! And aren't those howler monkeys creepy? We got to hear them in Belize.
Ah, I spent so much time looking at slides of those roof combed temples of Tikal. I'm glad you to decided to go out there and see it!
Post a Comment