I wanted to see what we could accomplish in our evenings if we didn't have our trusty ol' television to turn to when we were tired or bored. And here's what we did:
- Went on a long walk one evening and spent some time playing at the park with Livia
- Played a board game
- I made throw pillows for our couch
- Chase played soccer
- Read (John Adams for Chase, and Mayflower for me. Chase has gotten me on a history kick)
- Planned our primary lesson in advance
- Listened to past airings of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
- I went running for the first time in two years. Here's a little piece of advice: if you're out of practice, don't think you have to prove anything to yourself. I only ran a mile, put pushed myself so hard to get a good time that I very nearly vomited all over some bushes.
- Made cookies
- Went on another walk to Krispy Kreme to participate in free donut day Ü
Did we miss our TV? I wish I could say no, but there were a few times where one or the other of us really just wanted to relax on the couch and watch a show. Luckily we had each other to report to--peer pressure can work wonders. Plus I hid the remotes.
Overall though, it was nice to do other things with our time. We talked a lot more, accomplished more, and our apartment is cleaner. So while I don't think we'll be getting rid of our tv anytime soon, I do think we're going to be more selective about when and why we decide to turn it on.
6 comments:
i love this. we've done this a few times. and i actually did it for leah for the month of march.
and you shouldn't have admitted you went running. we will now bug you relentlessly. :)
What a fun week. We actually are giving up the cable since we don't want to pay the extra $ now. I do love the extra feeling of time when you don't have the tv on.
Ecxellent idea! We don't have TV (mostly because we don't want to pay for it!) and I was surprised at how much I don't miss it! ...Of course, some shows are online... :)
It's amazing what you can do without TV, isn't it? We don't have cable because we're cheap, and our local stations don't work either. We haven't had TV since we've been married, and I have to admit, I LOVE it. We still watch movies, and we have some of our favorite shows on DVD for when we just want to veg out, but it's really awesome how much time you have when you turn off the TV. I must say, I'm impressed with Chase for doing it the week the NBA finals started!
I always love reading your blog, by the way. I'm glad you guys are doing well!
Wow, I am really impressed! I wonder if we could do that...It might just be worth a try.
John told me you guys were doing this and it's actually helped me to think twice about turning on the TV.
Have I told you guys that Livia is the cutest lil gal EVER. I seriously think she is the cutest girl.
Post a Comment