Friday, August 7, 2009

A not so typical friday morning

1. 6:30 a.m. (a full hour too early) Chase nudges me and says, "Livia's crying." What? I can't even hear her over the fan, and am fully prepared to just ignore the whole situation (I'm not terribly nice when I'm sleepy) and go back to sleep. But Chase keeps nudging me, so I finally get up, grab her some milk out of the fridge and cuddle up with Livvy in a chair so she can quench her usual thirst and go back to sleep. "C'mon Livvy," I mutter, as she's holding the sippy cup straw in her mouth but not sucking at all, "Drink your milk so I can go back to bed." Now she's fighting to get out of my lap. Knowing this will wake her up even more, but being too tired to fight back, I let her get down. She walks right over to her dresser and starts insistently pointing to her Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Oh great, I think to myself, that's what this whole thing is about. She saw her favorite book from her crib! And so I read it to her. Twice. When she started going for round three I decided I was done and put her back in her crib and went back to bed.
She was crying of course, but since I knew there wasn't anything actually wrong, I was content to let the fan drown her out and go back to sleep. Like I said, I'm not the kindest soul when I'm tired. Chase, however, couldn't sleep, so he got up with her, read the book to her a few times (his plan to just let her flip through the pages in her crib didn't go over so well) and then gave up, too. She never did go back to sleep. But I sure did! (thanks, chase, for staying up with her)

2. Later in the morning I'm now officially awake and getting ready. Suddenly I hear a crash from our bedroom. What?! I peek in Livia's bedroom where I could've sworn she was, and sure enough, she was still sitting on the ground reading books. So what in the world happened? I go into our bedroom and Chase looks at me sheepishly as he replaces a picture frame on top of the bookcase. "What happened?" I demanded, totally confused as to how he could have accidentally knocked over a frame in a remote, high corner of the room.
"I was doing a handstand," he finally admitted.
What?! Since when is Chase a gymnast?! He saw my incredulous look and started to explain, "I just got the urge to do one! And guess what? I think it's the best one I've ever done...until I fell and hit the bookcase. I held it for so long..."

Oh , yes. We're off to a great start today, folks!

And I will be hiding The Very Hungry Caterpillar tonight!

4 comments:

Stephanie M. said...

hahaha typical Chase
Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

Haha! That is a great story! So funny. I can totally see Chase doing that too!

Kristen said...

I love your stories. So funny, who doesn't get the urge to do a handstand every once in a while?

mj said...

i'm laughing so hard right now...visualizing chase doing a handstand for no apparent reason. i'm sure it was good, though, chase. i probably wouldn't tell the guys at work about that one. :)