Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And he's off!

My brother Jon entered the MTC a couple of hours ago. He is going to be such a great missionary! The people up in Washington are so lucky to be getting him. Ü We took a family vacation down to my parent's home so we could see him off. Everyone managed to come, and it was so fun to be all together as a family! (My grandparents and Uncle David were there as well, but the only picture I have of them turned out blurry.)

Me and Jon

Laura and I got talked into playing a violin duet in church while we were there. It went just fine, despite the fact that neither of us had so much as touched our violins in months/years, as well as my managing to forget to put on my shoulder rest during the musical number. Any of you who play the violin know that that's kind of an important part! I thought for sure that violin was going to go flying out from under my chin at any moment, but we made it through okay!
Here's a shot of all the Self kids.


My mom and Jon, just after he was set apart.


Staying entertained during the crazy amount of picture taking. Pretty sure I caught Livia gouging out chase's eyeball.

It was such a fun little trip! I'm so glad we were able to go. The Tour of California was going on that weekend, and Chase took the opportunity to catch a couple of the stages. I went with him to one that finished in Big Bear. We were there early enough that we were able to squeeze our way to the edge of the course just in front of the finish line, and it was so exciting to see the leaders come charging up that final hill! It's amazing how fast they go, especially when you consider that they'd climbed around 14,000 feet in the preceding 6 hours.

I also got to visit with my friend Virginia, whom I don't think I'd seen since before Livia was born, so that was a lot of fun too! Lots of family, lots of friends, lots of good memories.

Here's a video I got of Livia dancing on our drive down. She did surprisingly well in the car, and was content to look out the window and say the word "cow" approximately 426 times.

P.S. Livia's been looking at pictures from the trip and talking about all of you ever since!

No comments: