Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Who does that?!

While Livia and I were walking home from the park today, I spotted an older lady about a block ahead of me, carrying some obviously heavy grocery bags. My pace must have been faster than hers, because I started to catch up to her, and I thought to myself "If I do catch up to her before she gets to her destination, I'm going to offer to help carry those bags."

A couple blocks later we were still heading in the same direction and I was almost close enough to offer some help. Suddenly she stopped in front of a home with a nice flower garden and I saw her stretch her arms up and wiggle her fingers.

"She's totally sore from carrying those bags! I'm definitely going to help her," I thought to myself.

She bent down in what I assumed was a hamstring stretch, but when I reached her, I saw that she was taking some flowers out of the garden. Let me clarify--she didn't pick a flower, she removed an entire flower plant, roots and all, and put it in one of her bags. What the...?!

Now I felt super awkward and just kept walking right on past her. A few minutes later I thought, "well, maybe that was her house??" and turned around....nope. There she was walking steadily along behind me.

Is that not bizarre?

(Julia--doesn't it put you in mind of a situation we might have discussed in our moral development class?)

4 comments:

Molly said...

Ha! That is funny! I have been known to snatch a little part of a plant that can be planted and root into a new plant, but we're talking the equivalent of picking a flower (but less noticeable). I cannot believe she took an entire plant!!

mj said...

so you don't normally pick others flower plants? that's so weird, mary.

Anonymous said...

Um, wow! That is hillarious! Weird, but so funny.

Spencer and Julia said...

Ah moral dilemmas! If you help, isn't that like you are an accomplice? Aiding and abetting a criminal? Or just helping an old lady? Tough call :)