This past Wednesday I went up to the Legion of Honor in SF to check out the Cartier exhibit with my friend, Dyan. The pieces were absolutely stunning!
There were a wide variety of jewels, from diamond tiaras to necklaces shaped like snakes (one was even linked internally, so that the segments MOVED like a snake), as well as many gorgeous brooches and mystery clocks, where the hands are suspended. Even Livia was oohing and aahing in between licks of her lollipop (I ended up having to give her two in order to make it through the entire exhibit in peace. I know, bad! But it was so worth it). The jewels were intricate and exquisite, and the exhibit was overall very fascinating.
But then that evening I visited a friend of mine who just had a baby. And as I held that 4-day-old little girl in my arms I was reminded what true beauty looks like. Enchanting as those diamonds were, I found that perfect, pure little face infinitely more captivating. There is something about babies, particularly newborns, that makes the whole world seem to pause, and suddenly nothing else matters quite as much as that wonderful, new little life.
I think I need that reminder every once in awhile, to help me remember that what I'm doing, at home with my daughter every day, IS significant. That no matter what's going on in the world, or what possessions I may or may not have, raising and loving a child is the most important contribution and the most significant privilege of my life.
2 comments:
Wonderfully put, Mary!
I had fun reading your posts this month! Thanks!
Your posts for the month were so fun! They were so uplifting and I enjoyed reading them. And what a nice way to finish too!
Post a Comment