Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 20: A hobby of yours

I have what I affectionately like to call "Hobby ADD." I cannot, for the life of me, find a hobby and stick to it! I'm always seeing something else I'd like to try or learn.

Case in point: In the span of a few years, I took ballet, tap, jazz, modern, swing, folk, irish dance...you get the picture...and yet I still don't feel like I can say "I dance" because I didn't stick with any one genre long enough to learn it well!

So this post is going to be about my most recent hobby. I don't know how long this one will last, though I do rather enjoy it, so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it up for a little while. My new hobby is embroidery.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Wal-mart and saw this toddler skirt for $1. That's right, one dollar. How can you pass that up? So I picked up a couple, and decided to make them a little more interesting. So far I've only done one, but here's how it started out:

And here's the finished product:


I know I only added a small detail to it, but for making up the pattern, I think it turned out pretty well!

I also embroidered a wall hanging for Livia for her birthday:




I'm still learning how to do this. I just started trying to teach myself a couple of months ago, and I've only done a few projects, so none of them are exactly perfect, but taking all that into account, I'm rather pleased with the results!
I've decided that I'm a fan of embroidery because you can see results pretty quickly, it's rather inexpensive, it's easy to fix mistakes, it's detail oriented, AND you can work on it while you watch t.v. or talk! That is my kind of hobby!

5 comments:

Molly said...

Ooh! I like it!

mj said...

i love leah's gift. it's perfect...and looks like you definitely knew what you were doing. i think it's a hobby you should stick to. :)

Simonds Family said...

Only started a few months ago?? All of the stuff you posted picture of is beautiful! Maybe you don't have to stick to one hobby for very long because you catch on so quickly!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Ok, that is cool. The skirt looks so much cuter with the little flowers. Great job!

Jenny said...

Hi. I actually linked over to you from Maren. I'm impressed with your skills -- stick with it:) And, I have to say, I was completely excited when I saw that your daughter's name is Livia Kathleen. This is a name I have always wanted to name a little girl of mine. Kathleen is my middle name. And Livia is actually a pretty popular Hungarian name. Every Livia I know over there is beautiful and kind, warm, friendly, and perfectly wonderful. Livi is the common nickname, and I just love it. I'm inclined to believe that anyone with that name will not only possess those qualities, but will also be talented, smart, generous, and all around amazingly perfect. Anyway, my husband hasn't gone for it yet -- even with all my convincing reasons --, but there's still hope. And if not, at least I know it was a well used somewhere else.:)