Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 26: Your week, in great detail

Let's see...on Monday we mostly hung out at home. After FHE Chase and I had our first GMAT study session together. Since I'm being so kind as to help him out, I insisted we start with sentence correction and study on the couch. I like to be comfortable while I study, though Chase prefers a desk and hard chair.

On Tuesday Livia and I went over to our friend's house, where she played with baby Matthew and I got to chat with Mary. I did laundry, was visited by my lovely visiting teachers, and we had night 2 of GMAT studying.

On Wednesday I watched two adorable little girls in the morning, and worked on a sewing project while Livia went over to their house in the afternoon. I had my last day of volunteering in an elementary school, helping ESL kids get ready for state testing. It was really nice to volunteer again, and a big thanks goes to Kristin for watching Livia every week so that I could! One of the girls, when I told her it was my last day, asked if I would be her 3rd mother (she has a step-mother). Flattering, but kind of weird, too...

Oh, and of course more GMAT. That night we started number properties. It starts out basic, with reviews of working with negatives, sets of integers, primes, etc., but oh my goodness, as soon as I started seeing variables my brain just about shut down! I literally have not done math since high school, and I never liked it then. Not that I can't do it...once we got into it I was able to figure out the problems, and did just as well as Chase, but I couldn't help feeling tortured by every passing minute.

On Thursday Livia and I hung out at home again, and then I went to my ballet class in the evening. We're getting ready for our mini-recital, and I'm enjoying learning all the choreography, since usually we just do a series of exercises. We were supposed to study again that night, but Chase fell asleep on the couch at 9:20 pm. I tried to wake him up, but he just grumbled at me, and ended up not coming to bed until 5:00 am.

On Friday I watched my niece, Ella, most of the day as her family moved across town. Livia enjoyed playing with her little cousin, and then we all went out to eat that evening. We were supposed to study again, but Chase fell asleep on the couch...again...and this time didn't come to bed until 6:00 am.

On Saturday Chase went skeet shooting with some co-workers, and Livia and I ran errands. That night we actually studied for the GMAT! Our goal was 4 days a week, so we made it. Phew!It was math again. I may or may not have complained. A lot. But we ended on some sentence correction problems, to see if we could remember what we'd learned, and I'm happy to report that I got 100%! I haven't done any sort of schoolwork since I graduated college, so it felt really refreshing to study, learn, test myself, and do well. Next week I think I'll continue studying the verbal portions with Chase, and read a book or something while he does the math. We ended the night by pigging out on junk food while watching an old Hitchcock episode on Hulu. Good times.

2 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

You are way too nice to help him study the GMAT. You really are a sweet sweet wife

mj said...

glad to know you think i'm lovely. :)

and i'm also glad to know that ryan told me i wasn't allowed to study with him anymore. hip hip hooray! although, now he wants to be a pilot. hmmm...