Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 13: A fictional book

A fictional book, eh? Um, have I mentioned how much I like to read? Especially fiction??

It makes things tricky, because I have no idea where to go here.

Let's see...I just read a good historical fiction book: The Undaunted, by Gerald Lund.
I think I particularly enjoyed it because I didn't know the historical part of the story at all, so it was all new and interesting to me. Also, I may or may not have read this 800 page book in just a few days. Chase has been working a lot lately.

One of my favorites growing up was The Giver. I always chose to take an optimistic look at the ending, even though deep down I think the tragic ending was probably the more accurate one. But hey, it was left vague on purpose right? So I'm going to pretend it ended happily.

I finally read the Lord of the Rings trilogy this year. I'd read The Hobbit twice, and loved it. But had attempted the 1st Lord of the Rings book THREE times, and got stuck every time as they wandered in the forest. So this time I was determined to finish, and finish I did! I enjoyed them, though some parts were a little slow and overly detailed for me. What impressed me the most was the thoroughness of Tolkien's writing. He created an entire world, with languages, history, legend, songs, geography, etc. etc. And that, in of itself, makes the trilogy worth reading.

Chase and I are both reading The Hornblower series by C. S. Forester right now. We're up to book 3, but for some reason Chase won't let me read it until he does. I don't really get it. But I agreed to read read one nonfiction book (which will take me awhile. Nonfiction just doesn't grip me in the same way and demand that I finish in a timely manner), and then if he still hasn't read it, I'm just going to go for it. It's a pretty engaging series. I'm really enjoying them so far, and the naval theme is a refreshing change from my ongoing love affair with mystery novels.

And that's all I feel like writing. Goodnight everybody!

No comments: