Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 19: A talent of yours

Well now, this is kind of tricky. Talents are an interesting thing, are they not? Some people seem to be talented at every single thing they try. Others have one or two amazingly developed talents. Still others may not have a natural talent for something, but work so hard that you'd never know it wasn't in-born. Others may see in us talents that we don't realize we possess, OR we may think we're great at something, but others do not agree (tryouts for American Idol, anyone?)

It's almost easier to list off talents of family members and friends, than it is to discuss one of my own!

But if I must, then I would say I have a talent for peacemaking. I feel like I can create a peaceful home, have peaceful relationships, and am at peace with myself. I'm certainly not perfect at it, but in general I do feel like it's a talent that I have and that hopefully I've been able to share with others. This is one of the reasons I always wanted to be a marriage and family counselor--to be able to help impart peace to other relationships. That and the fact that I can listen. Again, not perfect at it, but there are lots of occasions where people probably think I'm more shy than I really am...but really I'm just listening.

So there you have it! I thought about just talking about my highly developed facial muscles, but I don't think that would be terribly interesting to anyone besides Chase, who can't even flare his nostrils, and therefore finds the fact that I can wiggle my ears and wriggle my eyebrows in all sorts of ways strangely impressive. Ü

3 comments:

Molly said...

I've always considered myself a peacemaker, but I'll bet you blow me away by comparison. I need to work on the listening thing. I'm one of those people who feels the need to throw my personal stories into every conversation in order to show I'm listening and can relate. But that also means I spend less time listening, which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to be engaged in a two-way conversation. :) Something I need to work on.

PS-I can't flare my nostrils OR wiggle my ears OR raise one eyebrow.

Rach said...

I love being with you or in your home for that very reason!
I came home after babysitting Livy last time and thought "Wow! How can our house be that calm and peaceful?"

You are amazing. I can think of many more talents of yours as well!

Dr. aafb said...

That's why Drake and I loved being in your home! I never pinpointed it until you mention it here but that's it! I admire the way you parent Livia for this reason. Does Chase want to go to grad school at UC Berekely so you could move closer to us?