Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 4: Favorite book

To quote dear Danielle (from another great movie), I could no sooner pick a favorite book than "choose a favorite star in the heavens."

Like many of you, I love to read. It was my favorite past time as a child. I remember being 7 years old and going to the library with my mom. I'd pick out a whole stack of chapter books and the librarian would always kind of eye it and ask my mom, "Is she going to be able to read all those?" My mom would immediately reply, "She'll be done with them by the end of the week."
And I was. I LOVED to read. I would get in trouble for reading too much. My allowance almost always went to a new book from the bookstore. And one of the few things I remember lying to my parents about as a child was that a book I was reading was "for homework." A bit nerdy? Um, yeah. But if I had to have an obsession as a child, I'm glad it was books.

So having read a lot of books in my time, it's really quite hard to pick a favorite. I like a lot of the classics: Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, etc. I also love a good mystery, Agatha Christie probably being my favorite because she still manages to suprise me with the endings. Some books are significant for the message they convey, others are simply delightfully entertaining. I've gone through sci-fi kicks, fantasy kicks, historical fiction and non-fiction kicks, but if I absolutely had to pick a favorite, I would probably have to say....Jane Eyre.

The first time I read it my older sister was reading it for a school assignment and, being the bookworm that I've now confessed to be, I read it too. I read a lot of books that way. I loved Jane Eyre. I found the plot rather fascinating and enjoyed Charlotte Bronte's writing style. A few years later I was then in the class where I was required to read it, and was pleasantly surprised to note that even knowing the ending, I enjoyed the book as thoroughly the second time. That's not always the case with books, you know? It was--is--simply a great work of literature.

So if you by chance haven't read it--well then, I think you should.

1 comment:

Cheryl and William said...

I LOVE Agatha Christie as well- you can never guess the endings in her books!