Friday, April 8, 2011

An experiment

Livia has been going through a difficult phase. I think some of it may be attributed to anxiety about all the changes about to take place in our home, but I have also noticed that she seems to be at her crankiest and most belligerent right after watching a show. For quite a while now our rule has been that she can watch one show in the morning, and one in the afternoon, following her nap. I find this time incredibly useful, and until recently she was able to enjoy some tv and then happily move on with her day. Last week, after she broke down in tears for the third time in a row after watching tv, I made an announcement. "No shows next week," I said, and to my surprise she accepted it docilely. I did tell her that when she was at other people's houses she might watch a show, but that when we were at home we would not be turning any on. I wanted to see if there was a difference--if that was the cause of some of the misbehavior, or if it was something else entirely. Guess what? We are now on Friday of our week of no tv, and Livia has only even asked for a show twice. Both times I reminded her that we weren't going to be watching shows all week, and both times she meekly accepted it and found something else to do. She has been noticeably more obedient and happy. No, she wasn't a perfectly well-behaved child this week, but overall she did much better. And I did okay without those 24 minutes to myself 2x a day, too! (I was worried about that!) It's amazing how much television, and other media, can affect one's mood. I see it in myself, as well. I don't watch much tv, but if I spend too long on the computer I no longer feel like being productive or getting things done. I think this is one of those instances where I can learn a lesson from my child! Now I just have to decide how to proceed from here. I don't want to ban Livia from tv entirely, and I really can't, with a baby about to come! I'm going to need her to watch shows from time to time! But maybe I'll cut it down to once a day, or just occasionally--not a set two times a day like it was before. Wish me luck!

No comments: