On Wednesday evening at 6:30 pm I began having irregular contractions. They continued off and on the whole next day until 6:30 pm, when they started coming every 6 to 7 minutes. They were strong enough and consistent enough that I was pretty sure I was in labor, so we brought Livia over to her cousin's house to spend the night. The contractions were still every 6-7 minutes or so around midnight, so Chase and I decided to stay home and try to get some sleep until they got closer together. Obviously, neither of us had an amazing night of sleep, but it was still a lot better than being in the hospital!
At 6:30 am I was hit with a huge, two-minute long contraction (noticing a pattern with the time here? It was uncanny). After that the contractions were even stronger and though they were still about 6 minutes apart, I knew it was time to go the hospital.
We arrived just before 8 am, and sure enough, I was at 5 cm! I was very excited about this, because that's as far as I ever got with Livia, who ended up being an emergency c-section. I really, really wanted to vbac, so the fact that I was already halfway there was very encouraging. Over the next several hours the contractions became much closer together and horrendously strong. I tend to have really bad back labor, which makes it even harder. Chase was a great support and helped me out with various coping techniques, but I was finding it increasingly difficult to relax through the contractions.
Just after noon the nurse decided to check my progress. Five and a half centimeters.
What?!
All of that for half a centimeter?!
I felt like crying, but wait! Here comes another contraction. Need to focus.
I had hoped to have a natural childbirth, but at this point I'd already been in labor for 18 hours, and after another hour of feeling like I'd rather die than face another contraction, I decided to get an epidural. The anesthesiologist was blessedly available right then, so very shortly I was able to rest. Rest! What a wonderful thing that is!
The next few hours passed quickly as I rested, Chase ate, and we heard a baby being born next door (which may or may not have made me cry). My water broke, audibly, right about when I hit 10 cm. Shortly thereafter I started pushing, felt extreme back pain during all of it (despite the epidural), and at 5:14 pm Jane was born! Chase and I had been guessing 6:30 pm, since that appeared to be my magic number, but it was still pretty close!
So there you have it! Born on her due date, Jane Virginia came in at 7 lbs. 8 oz and 20 inches long. She's healthy, we're happy, and now we're all adjusting to our new family life!
These pictures are out of order, and for some reason I can't move them around...
Jane, 1 day old:
Sisters! Livia was so excited to hold her!
Livia has good moments and bad moments, but having Chase home this week has helped tremendously. The two of them have had a few daddy-daughter dates and excursions which she has very much enjoyed. Also, I think it helps that Jane sleeps a whole lot. I'm hoping and praying that Liv adjusts soon!
Tomorrow Jane will be one week old, which is hard to believe! The days do pass so quickly...
Tomorrow Jane will be one week old, which is hard to believe! The days do pass so quickly...
13 comments:
she's just delightful, Mary. And I'm so glad that the delivery went well and that you were able to vbac. What a beautiful family of four you are!
Congrats! Jane is adorable, and Livia looks so grown up! What a cute little family you have!
Mary, congrats!! I am so happy for you that Jane is here and you have your baby girl who looks JUST like you!!! Congrats on the VBAC too, I am so happy that it all worked out for you. And I totally understand the epidural thing since I also got stuck at a 5 for 8hours! Jane is beautiful and you look amazing, congrats to all of you!
Congrats, Mary! I didn't know she had arrived! What a great story and what a beautiful baby!!
i love her already! she was so snuggly on monday. can't believe it's already been a week. hope to get in as much jane time as we can before august comes.
Congratulations Mary! I'm so glad things went well - Jane is beautiful and you look amazing as always. Your family of 4 is so cute! Best wishes getting all settled again. :)
Congratulations she is beautiful.
Oh my goodness...I just LOVE LOVE that family picture of you guys on the couch. You just can't get a more precious family than that! You are so lucky to have those beautiful girls, and those girls are lucky to have one of the most amazing moms I know!
Congratulations on another beautiful little girl! You look fantastic as well. I hope the adjustment goes smoothly for all.
Congrats Mary! She is darling and I can't wait to meet her And way to go on the labor part.
Congratulations, Mary. She's beautiful!
Mary, congratulations! Little Jane is beautiful and I'm so glad you were able to VBAC like you wanted. I love your family picture with your two sweet girls!
Congrats! She is beautiful.
Post a Comment