Sunday, February 22, 2009

A day in the city

This past Saturday Chase went skiing with Tyler, so I took advantage of the time to hang out with a friend of mine who lives north of San Francisco. We went to the De Young museum and spent most of our time there checking out the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit. I thought it was fascinating. Some of his dresses were absolutely stunning, but others were just plain weird. Maybe I lack fashion sense, but take a look at this...
Wait, it gets better. This is a wedding dress.
An extremely expensive wedding dress, no less. He was inspired by a cocoon. In a way it's kind of cool, but I couldn't help but smile when I pictured what the expression on Chase's face would have looked like if I had showed up to our wedding wearing this. Ha!
Amanda and I went up to the observation tower to get a view of the city.
And it was a gorgeous view! I love all the different colors of all the buildings. Amanda said it reminded her of a patchwork quilt, and I have to agree.

Here's another view, with the golden gate bridge just peeking out behind the hill.
I wish I could say that Livia behaved like this in the museum...
But in reality it was more like this...
She was quite content...as long as I was holding her in my arms. So I held her for a couple of hours (that was my workout for the day), and then decided that it was ridiculous for us to push around an empty stroller like that. So for the last half hour or so I made her sit on her own. Eventually she resigned herself to her fate and calmed down. And then she slept all the way home, which was fabulous!
I made it home just in time for Stake Conference (literally. I walked in as they were saying the opening prayer), and wrangled with Livia for another hour and a half. I knew she had to get some major wiggles out--I was just trying to get her to wiggle quietly. By the end of the day I was exhausted. But it sure was fun!

2 comments:

mj said...

Mary I would pay big money to see you in that dress. :)

EvaMarieva said...

That exhibit sounds very interesting. YSL is a great designer. I am glad you were able to enjoy it with Amanda-she probably made it fun too!

I want to see the dress in person-looks pretty cool!