Friday, January 22, 2010

Scaredy-cat

What's the most scared you've ever been? I have LOTS of stories I could tell...I get freaked out really easily and was plagued by nightmares as a child, but I think I've narrowed down my list to the top three times I was terrified out of my mind.





1. We were visiting Chase's parents in Arizona for several weeks one summer, and they had to go up to Utah for a few days, so we were left alone in their house. At about 2:00 in the morning the burgler alarm suddenly went off! Chase ran out of the room to investigate (totally unarmed...in retrospect he realized he should have grabbed something to wield), while I positively cowered in bed. There was a door opening to the patio in the bedroom we were in, and suddenly it was open a few inches! Absolutely positive that the intruder was in the room with me, or just had been, I yelled for Chase and cowered even more, completely terror-stricken.



Long story short, it was a false alarm. I thought I had locked that door, but apparently I did not, or at least hadn't done it properly, and there was some gusty wind that night that first opened the door enough to trigger the alarm, and then pushed it open several more inches. I'm glad it was nothing, but it still took me a good hour to fall back asleep!



2. When I rolled my car. In those 3-4 seconds when the car was fishtailing and I had absolutely no more control over the vehicle, and no idea what would happen to us, I was filled with a fear that I've never felt before or since. It is terrifying to not have control, especially in such a dangerous situation. I still have occasional flashbacks to that moment, and am forever grateful that neither of us were seriously injured.



3. Again, we were at Chase's parents house in Arizona. This might have even been the same trip, but I can't remember for sure. His parents had both left the house, and Chase went to go get our car washed. So I was home alone and hopped in the shower. A minute or two later I looked up, and there, in a small window above the shower, was a man's hand! I screamed. Twice. And then burst into uncontrollable tears and huddled in the corner, sobbing. Ten minutes later I finally got myself under control, hurriedly finished my shower and ran out, thinking "that better have been Chase, and if it was, I'm going to kill him!"

Sure enough, I had a voicemail on my phone from a very sheepish Chase, who had been puttering around outside before actually leaving to get the car washed, and decided to "say hello" as he put it. Seriously? He said he could hear me scream and start to cry, but didn't have a key to his parent's house, so he couldn't come in to reassure me (although that may have freaked me out even more anyway). He felt horrible, I know, but it took me a couple of days to forgive him because I was so horribly frightened by the experience.



So what's your story? I want to hear them!

2 comments:

Nunnally Family said...

Mary! I cant believe I found you on here. If I were in your position for those stories I would have freaked out too. Im a very paranoid person and will be the first to admit it. :)
I hope all is well with you. Your little family is very cute. I LOVE your picture on top!

Kelly (Ward) Nunnally

Mary Dawn said...

One time i opened the front door and MIke was standing there with a very scary face. I cried.
love, love, love your storied.