Somehow, in all my years of cooking, I've never cut jalapenos. Until last night. I seeded and minced two.
I knew you weren't supposed to touch your eyes after handling peppers. I didn't know that you needed to be careful about skin contact. Now I know.
About 5 minutes after I finished chopping the jalapenos my hands started to burn. BURN.
I had a feeling I should put my hands in milk, but googled it first, and yep, milk is supposed to help. I tried it, it felt better, but as soon as I took my hands out they started burning again. I tried everything I saw suggested on websites: coating my hands in flour, washing them really thoroughly, etc., but everything only helped briefly.
I finally called Chase in desperation and on his way home from work he picked up some cortizone. My hands still tingled, but at least I could use them again! Until that night when I forgot and took a hot shower. Enter repeat of that evening's experience. This time even the cortizone wasn't helping much. It took me over an hour to fall asleep, and I've still had to be careful about hot water today.
Learn from my experience. I never want to have a chemical burn like that again!
(As a side note, Chase has never had any such reaction after cutting jalapenos. He is now the designated pepper-cutter in our family)
No comments:
Post a Comment